Son currently has a Digital Editor vacancy in their Cape Town office. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing and managing the editing, writing and appearance of the online publication to build and maintain competitive advantage.
Main purpose of the role:
- Create an editorial voice and personality for the site that reflects the aspirations and interests of the target audience;
- Create, plan, implement and manage the content strategy, vision, and guidelines for online media content to drive traffic to the site and create a favourable environment for advertisers;
- Align editorial goals with company strategic direction
- Leverage technology and multimedia capabilities;
- Create and implement a daily, weekly and monthly editorial calendar to increase traffic to the site and drive cross-network traffic and engagement;
- Source and create features, ensuring all copy is delivered within stipulated deadlines and to standard, rejecting copy that is not to brief or standard;
- Manage, co-ordinate and drive daily uploading of relevant, fresh and accurate content that will drive traffic to the site, ensuring that content is loaded correctly with the correct meta tagging and meta descriptions;
- In conjunction with the editor, drive initiatives in new product areas such as wireless, user-generated content, and blogs, across all stakeholder media platforms;
- Participate in the recruitment and selection of employees for the editorial team;
- Manage employee performance and daily duties including setting expectations, providing clear feedback and coaching for improvement;
- Ensure that the site is meeting its targets in terms of unique users, page impressions and revenue targets, etc.;
- Analyse site traffic and constantly look to improve and grow traffic through modifying editorial coverage, improving packaging etc;
- Oversee and grow the social networking, community and user-generated content elements of the site;
- Create regular newsletters and mailers;
- Manage relationships with the industry, partners and sister publications;
- Stay abreast of current industry standards and techniques, changing internet technology, journalism trends and the competition, to ensure effective content that achieves the publication’s goals; and
- In conjunction with the publisher, drive innovative growth opportunities and constantly seek opportunities to build and extend the brand’s online presence.
- Be willing to work weekends, public holidays and after hours;
Skills and competencies:
- Pressure resilience
- Result Orientation
- Excellent written communication
- Excellent verbal communication skills in required languages
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent journalistic skills
- Problem-solving ability
- Planning and organising skills
- Sound judgment
- Relevant tertiary qualification in journalism, languages or media studies.
- 5-7 years’ editorial experience;
- Previous experience in online editing.
- Sound editorial knowledge, including proficiency as a writer with strong editing skills;
- In-depth knowledge of the target market;
- Proficiency in relevant computer software packages and applications.
- In depth knowledge of relevant content areas;
- Good general knowledge.
Closing Date: 19 June 2019