Company Secretary Assistant
Main Purpose of the role:
To plan and co-ordinate the operations of the company secretariat in relation to all company secretarial functions and the group’s intellectual property administration, assisting the Group Company Secretary with specific functions and projects, as required.
- Responsible for all company secretarial functions in the Media24 group;
- Responsible for efficient operation of the group’s intellectual property administration including review of the group’s intellectual property policy;
- Assist group company secretary with specific functions i.e. all aspects of annual general meetings, the annual report process in relation to Media24 and Welkom Yizani, processes in relation to directors’ annual declarations and payments of fees;
- Act as company secretary for certain companies (largely non-operational entities) in the Media24 group;
- Plan, select, develop and maintain suitable database programmes used within the secretariat;
- Mentor and guide more junior staff members;
- Establish and maintain relationships with stakeholders and other departments/business units;
- Ensure compliance with relevant legal and statutory requirements, meet principles of sound corporate governance;
- Produce relevant reports for Senior Management;
- Identify and address areas for continuous improvement;
- Stay abreast of, evaluate and implement appropriate modern world-class thinking and techniques in particular industry/field to ensure efficient and effective operation;
- Responsible for updating website information for the internal website www.in24.co.za as well as the external websites www.media24.com and www.welkomyizani.com; and
- Liaise with external contractors (i.e. lawyers, transfer secretaries, and others).
Skills and competencies:
- Planning and organising
- Analytical thinking
- Problem solving
- Leadership skills
- Good verbal communication skills
- Good written communication skills
- Business Acumen
At least 5 years’ relevant experience in a company secretarial environment in preferably an accounting or law firm.
- Knowledge of company secretarial, business and management principles and practices;
- Knowledge of Companies Act and King III;
- Knowledge of basic accounting/financial principles/practices;
- Proficient in relevant software packages and applications.
Media24 is South Africa’s leading media company with interests in digital media and services, newspapers, magazines, ecommerce, book publishing, printing and distribution. It is part of Naspers, a multinational group of media and ecommerce platforms.
Closing date: 20 April 2018