As part of our efforts to establish a new editorial ecosystem that is geared towards equipping us to reach our audiences on all possible platforms and ensure rollout of our digital strategy, we have this key vacancy for a Deputy Digital Editor.
City Press is a respected news brand that publishes across platforms. Its flagship print edition is distributed nationally on a Sunday, but it also has a popular online platform, newsletters, and social media platforms that are growing quickly and are followed closely by influencers and readers.
This position requires an experienced senior digital editor who has experience in reporting, content strategy, growing social media audiences and working across the brand’s various platforms, including print. The ideal candidate would also have extended CMS management experience and social media, video and photography proficiency.
Overall, the editor will be in charge of and responsible for editorial content, the content strategy, daily news diary and for overseeing the website and brand during its PM shift. This includes the following:
- Imagine and create a brand new digital news entity, drawing from existing print and digital content, and creating fresh, digital news and content offerings;
- Ensure the right mix of news and content offering, from written to multimedia, to meet the expectations of existing and future audiences;
- Manage the daily diary and long plan coverage;
- Manage and lead digital editorial staff;
- Collaborate and work with other news teams within the centralized structure;
- Achieve readership and subscription targets;
- The incumbent will be responsible for the curation of the morning newsletter On a Point of Order, City Press’s oldest and largest newsletter that focuses on news and analysis;
- Be co-responsible with the Digital Editor for business objectives.
- Experienced, accomplished digital editor and news leader who knows and understands the target audience and market. Strong editorial background a non-negotiable;
- Fully up to speed with latest thinking and practices of digital news, here and abroad;
- Thorough knowledge of all content aspects of digital news production and publication, from social media to premium content;
- Above-average knowledge of the technical aspects of digital publication;
- Experienced in leading and managing creative teams;
- Experienced in running news teams;
- Ability to function effectively under pressure.
- Able to devise new structures and workflow systems to match output on digital platforms;
- Entrepreneurial in nature, keen to experiment and run calculated risks;
- Ability to function effectively in a fast changing, high pressure corporate environment.