Kick Off Magazine (a Media24 publication) requires a qualified and forward-thinking sub-editor and content manager in our Cape Town office.
- Manage content with the editorial team, as Sub-Editor to the publication.
- Communicating with the editor and journalists, with the aim of featuring topical and relevant content to the readers.
- A high-quality subbing of all content
- Eliminate grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, poor phrasing and adjust content according to Kick Off's style.
- Article quality, strength and angle selection should be considered, while regular feedback to journalists to help them improve as writers.
- Produce two features or interviews per month
- Proofing and inserting of corrections on designed pages
- Research and fact-checking content
- Picture research
- Compilation of various pages including Letters, Month that Was and Contents page
- Meeting editorial deadlines.
- Fulfilling defined KPIs’ and self-evaluation management
Knowledge and experience:
- Must have completed a degree or diploma in English, Journalism or Media Studies.
- At least two years’ experience as a sub-editor.
- Football-related experience advantageous.
- Strong computer skills.
- Passion for South African football and a knowledge of local clubs, leagues and players.
- Knowledge of football terminology.
- Understanding of media law and how to handle sensitive stories.
Skills and abilities:
- Strong attention to detail to ensure clean copy
- Ability to work accurately under pressure.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Can make decisions independently as well as within a group.
- Must be able to work within a team.
- Strong planning and organisational skills.
- Logical thinker who can analyse situations and come up with the right solutions.
Given the employment equity policy of Media24, preference will be given to suitable candidates from the designated groups