A vacancy exists for the position of Publisher based in Cape Town or Johannesburg. This is a permanent appointment that reports to the Publishing Director and includes the following responsibilities:
- Research, plan, commission, develop and co-ordinate a profitable list of books.
- Conceptualise and assess proposals for new publications for the South African book market with an emphasis on commercial non-fiction.
- Evaluate manuscripts for merit and commercial viability.
- Commission and liaise with authors, building relationships and networks.
- Assist with manuscript development.
- Prepare and control project costing budgets.
- Ensure projects are published on time and to the highest quality standards.
- Negotiate author contracts and manage contract terms, royalties and payments with authors and agents.
- Liaise with sales, marketing and publicity colleagues.
Minimum requirements include:
- Three years’ relevant experience as commissioning editor or publisher.
- Sound knowledge of the book market.
- Excellent communication and language skills in English.
- Available to travel.
This position requires an individual with a proven track-record in publishing and knowledge of the South African market. The successful candidate will have excellent planning and organisational skills, sound business acumen, good interpersonal abilities and creativity. An ability to publish in English is essential.
Given our employment equity guidelines, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.
If you are interested in applying for this position and meet the requirements of the post, please submit your application online.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 31 January 2019
Only short listed candidates will be interviewed.
Please note that if you have not heard from us by 17th February 2019 you should regard your application as unsuccessful.