Media24, part of the Naspers Group, touches the lives of millions of consumers every day through our online and print media, book publishing, online services and ecommerce platforms. We are looking for a Financial Controller: Statutory and Reporting to assist in our Financial Shared Services Division. The role will report to the Senior Finance Manager and will be based at their head offices in Cape Town.
Main purpose of role:
Effectively manage the core Finance Shared Service functions for all controlling, reconciliations and management and statutory reporting according to sound financial systems, practices and processes that are compliant with relevant legislation, meet principles of international best practices and principles that will allow the business unit, division and company to achieve its strategic financial objectives.
- Professional Qualification: Degree or relevant qualification. CA (SA) or articles will be advantageous.
- At least 5 years’ experience with at least 3 years managing a finance team;
- Knowledge of SAP, HFM, IFRS;
- Strong analytical experience and ability to troubleshoot;
- Strong management leadership qualities to lead a team;
- Provide input and guidance to senior management and problem solving;
- Ability to community with internal and external stakeholders;
- Knowledge of all relevant legislation;
- Knowledge of risk management;
- Proficient in relevant software packages and applications.
(The primary tasks, functions and deliverables of the role)
- Design, implement and monitor policies, procedures and processes for the shared services department, in compliance with the group financial strategy;
- Establish and review the financial integrity, performance and its reporting by managing mechanisms for financial controls, accounting, costing, and reporting for the all line reporting functions and financial reporting and accounting systems;
- Manage and ensure IFRS compliance and legal compliance (relevant acts including but not limited to Companies Act, Income Tax Act, Securities Exchange Act, Consumer Protection Act, Electronic Communication Act), in relation to:
- Compilation of monthly, quarterly and annual accounts and annual financial statements,
- All relevant financial systems for e.g. HFM, Cognos, SAP etc,
- Payroll related queries and functions,
- VAT compliance,
- Income Tax compliance,
- Managing the intercompany mismatch process from HFM perspective,
- Review and manage group reporting timelines for Finance Shared Services;
- Ensure timeous completion of monthly, quarterly and annual reporting requirements as per head office deadlines, which include but are not limited to:
- Submit accurate and timely Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow uploads in Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) for all relevant entities;
- Submit accurate financial (including budget and variance) reports and schedules as required, including monthly management reports, cash flow, inter-divisional and inter-group revenue and charges and all other monthly statutory reporting, etc.
- Ensure preparation of accurate financial reports and schedules for completion and submission of VAT returns, year-end packs, tax returns and statutory reporting,
- Fixed assets reconciliation and reporting;
- Provide support to auxiliary schedules for auditing purposes as per assigned work;
- Design and prepare audit schedules for internal and external audit processors;
- Ensure adequate provision and communication between Finance Shared Services and non-SAP divisions and/or Retained finance divisions in respect of payroll transactions and charges, interdivisional and intergroup revenue and charges and resolution of mismatches for non-SAP divisions;
- Through broad and thorough understanding of the business and financial implications, assist the Sr Finance Manager and CFO of Finance Shared Services with providing advice on Media24’s critical business issues e.g. preparation of business plans, advice on tax-related issues, key financial inputs into project decisions;
- Assist the Senior Finance Manager with research, preparation and presentation of information to the business as requested e.g. financial models, scenarios etc. based on requests from CFO;
- Manage team members in such a way that they are motivated, energised and empowered;
- Evaluate current methods and processes inclusive of upgradation of process development;
- Manage and liaise with internal and external auditors’ requirements as per audit timetable.
Skills and competencies:
(The abilities that the individual needs to perform this role effectively)
- A strong sense of ethics
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Sense of accountability
- Ability to work with and lead a team
- Pressure resilience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Analytical thinking
- Sound judgment
- Organisational skills
- Attention to detail