This leading South African book publisher and distributor wishes to appoint a temporary publicist for a period of 4 months in either its Cape Town or Johannesburg office. The successful candidate would work closely with the relevant Sales Managers, and deal directly with authors, national media, international publishers and bookshops. The candidate would be responsible for planning, implementing and managing the publicity activities for the local publishing division, to meet the objectives of Jonathan Ball Publishers, which is to increase market share in the South African market.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and verbal;
- Good general knowledge;
- Must be self-motivated, pro-active and able to work independently;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines;
- Exceptionally strong organizational and administrative skills;
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Computer literacy is essential;
- A strong interest in and love for books, reading and publishing in general;
- Ability to foster good relations with authors, national media, bookshops and colleagues;
- This position would require work-related domestic travel, as well as attendance at functions; book fairs; exhibitions and book launches which involve considerable after hour commitments.
- Be creative and innovative with title campaigns;
- Established network of contacts within media is advantageous;
- A relevant tertiary qualification would be advantageous;
- The candidate must be able to represent the company in a beneficial light;
- A valid driver’s license and own vehicle is essential;
Duties would include:
- Prepare and execute publicity and promotion plans; author tours and launches
- Liaise with the media to obtain maximum positive coverage for the company, its books and authors;
- Liaise with the relevant sales managers and publishers to maximise publicity for their titles that will support and increase sales;
- Prepare press releases and publicity material such as monthly Highlights newsletters;
- Build and maintain good relationships between the publicity department and media, booksellers and authors;
- Brainstorm creative ideas for capturing media attention and make recommendations for creating media opportunities;
- Promote a positive image of the publicity department and the relevant division/s.
The company offers a competitive salary. Given our employment equity guidelines, preference will be given to suitable candidates from the designated groups.
Those who meet the requirements of the post and are interested in applying for this position may direct an online application in the form of a comprehensive CV and covering letter on this platform.
Closing date for applications: 28 February 2020. Only short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
Please note that, if you have not heard from us by 13 March 2020, please regard your application as unsuccessful.