TygerBurger, award-winning local newspaper based in the northern suburbs of Cape Town, has an exciting opportunity for a senior journalist in its Bellville office. The successful candidate will be required to produce relevant, compelling and factually correct news and feature content, and assist with production-related tasks.
- Diploma or degree in journalism or relevant tertiary qualification.
- At least five years’ experience as a journalist (experience at a local newspaper is a plus).
- Ability to write in English and Afrikaans.
- Knowledge of topical local issues and current affairs.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Prepared to work irregular hours.
Skills & competencies:
- Able to work under extreme pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Good time management and the ability to multi-task effectively and follow through.
- Sound news judgement.
- Detail and quality orientation.
- Good people skills.
- Good decision making abilities.
- Persistence/results orientation.
- Questioning and listening skills.
- The ability to work independently.
- Resilience and initiative.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Write quality, hyper local news and feature articles, adhering to strict deadlines.
- Take quality photographs to accompany articles.
- Generate feature ideas.
- Comply with the requirements of the South African Press Code.
- Generate and liaise with a network of contacts to assist with research or completion of articles/features.
Given the employment equity policy of Media24, preference will be given to suitable candidates from the designated groups.