Media24 has a vacancy for a sports writer at City Press. The successful candidate would be flexible and able to work across a variety of subjects, particularly football. The successful candidate must be adept at multi-media elements of storytelling, able to shoot and edit video, and manage social media accounts.
Key performance areas
- Gather, write and present sports reports.
- Build up a network of contacts at local and national level.
- Liaise with colleagues across departments about features and the best use of information.
- Shoot and edit video content.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree or diploma, preferably in journalism, is a strong recommendation.
- At least 5 years' experience in a newsroom.
- Proven experience and ability to write features, hard news, analytical journalism and revelatory reports across formats. Proven experience of taking videos and editing this content according to City Press standards.
- Computer skills
- Valid driver's licence
- The ability to withstand pressure from sports officials, politicians and large private companies.
- Good grasp of the SA sports scene as well as international sporting events.
- Good grasp of journalism, all platforms and the newspaper business.
- The ability to focus, prioritise and think strategically.
- Above-average ability to obtain and analyse information, to have insight into its core and to present it as a stimulating, cohesive report.
- The ability to co-operate with all departments to present reports in a visually attractive and understandable way.
- A good instinct for news, ethical conduct and good judgment.
In exchange for the successful candidate's services the company offers a competitive salary, membership of the medical and retirement funds for persons qualifying.