City Press has a vacancy for an experienced, digitally savvy newshound who knows their way around the political news landscape.
City Press is a respected news brand that publishes across platforms. Its flagship print edition is distributed nationally on a Sunday, but it also has a popular online platform, newsletters, and social media platforms that are growing quickly and are followed closely by influencers and readers.
This position requires a mid/senior journalist who has experience in reporting and working across the brand’s various platforms, including print. The ideal candidate would also have CMS management experience and social media, video and photography proficiency.
The Digital Journalist role is responsible for researching, enterprising, developing, writing, editing, and delivering a written presentation of local, compelling, creative and original political news stories on deadline. The role will also contribute to special features and stories. The Digital Journalist will create impactful and compelling content for the publication.
Communication skills are key because the incumbent will be required to work across platforms and departments.
Responsibilities will include:
- Editing and reworking articles
- Shooting and editing video for various platforms, including YouTube and social media
- Writing articles and enhancing them with pictures and videos
- Setting up a daily diary and following through
- Processing and publishing copy on the CMS. A good understanding of SEO concepts is necessary.
- Publishing social media posts on various platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Mentoring and training junior journalists
This is a very varied skill set and training will be provided where needed, but the ideal candidate will need to be a self-starter who can work independently and hit the ground running.
A proven ability to create the sort of journalism City Press is known for, i.e. a varied portfolio will be required;
Experience in sub-editing; and
Video shooting and editing skills.